Friday, June 11, 2010

Herb and Dorothy Trailer



Watched this documentary on PBS last night and decided that if they could fit over 4000 pieces of original art in their New York City apartment, I have plenty of room in mine for my extensive collection.  I have never met collectors like the Vogels.  The Vogels really got to know the artists, the artists' process, and really supported the artists at critical times in their career. 

There are a few collectors of my work that have more than one of my works, but there are no collectors as intimately familiar with my work as the Vogels.  My paintings have sold one at a time, with very few repeats.  Why?  because most of my sales have been commissioned for the space over the couch, the sideboard, the bed.  The biggest impact this video had on me is that it gave me great courage to continue and helped me to see some of my 'hidden work' as valiid.  So, I won't throw it out.  I will look at my art hiccups, see the value and remember that there is more to painting and making art than making pretty pictures. 

I kept thinking about the following stage of a current painting and now wish that I had stayed with this longer.  It has the grit with a sort of punch to my gut that leaves a retinal memory and a hint that 'onward' is 'this way'






No comments: