Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Paintbox

Here's my french easel set-up for painting:  a few big brushes, a few rounds, maybe a filbert, a small brayer.
My colors:

cad yellow light
lemon yellow
cad yellow medium
yellow ochre
raw sienna
burnt sienna
grumbacher red (napthol red)
alizarin crimson
pthalo green
winsor blue (pthalo blue)
cobalt blue
ultramarine blue
grumbacher pre-test white, original formula (titanium white)

medium:  1 part stand oil, 1 part damar, 1 part turp

thinner for cleaning brushes

for beginners I recommend 3 colors:  cad yellow medium, grumbacher red, cobalt blue and white, a small jar of oil painting medium and some gessoed boards, a few brushes (boar bristle is fine)

a portable easel

if you try painting and want to continue, you will want to invest in more colors, brushes, medium and an easel for outdoor painting.

best,
deb.

3 comments:

Kay said...

nice photo..it has reminded me to get my easels set up! I have a new anderson easel, used it last summer..still working out the kinks!,a full size Yarka..super but a big one., 2small wooden carry cases. really need to purchase a good umbrella as the sun is scorching here ..if the snow storms will quit!I like to use Utrecht and rembrandt and daler rowney oils, and winsor newton and dick blick watercolors...so much to do and now I wait for the weather to change..

Debbie Clarke said...

kay, i'll have to check in and see what you are up to. we are starting to have spring. where are you that it is snowing? are you on facebook? if so, put me on your fl. best, deb.

Anonymous said...

I love the smell of oils in the morning.

http://violinviolalessons.blogspot.com/