Monday, September 13, 2010

A Tale of 2 Paintbrushes


My David was good friends with Armand Sindoni and received one of Armand's paintbrushes, along with a giclee print of one of Armand's last paintings as a remembrance gift from Armand's family.  The brush was proudly displayed above Armand's print, until we moved.  

A few months back I was painting when David took the brush from my hand, claiming it was Armand's.  I said:  "Well, you better put it someplace safe, because if I need a brush and find a brush, I use it."  and that was that,  until yesterday.  Yesterday I cleaned a flat brush when I realized the handle was encrusted with chrome green, a color I do not use.  The handle was used to mix a vat of paint (something I have never done). The ferrule encrusted with old oil.  I checked all of my paintbrushes. The ferrules of all of my old brushes were scraped clean. of encrusted paint.  A former studio assistant used a razor blade to clean my old brushes (a practice I put an end to...the bristles were getting shaved in the process).    I showed the brushes to David, told him that chrome green was a color commonly in use by painters of Armand's generation, then showed him my greens based on veridian and thalo...my greens lean towards blue. David agreed.  
The flat is the Armand Sindoni brush, the bare ferrule bright brush is mine.



I wanted to share some of Armand's work with you.  This photo of him with a self portrait is the only one I could find. He was known for his portraits, but he also painted seascapes.  Below is a link to the Gloucester Schooner Festival tribute to Armand.


best, deb.

ps:  while writing this post i looked in the dictionary for a description of bright and flat brushes (always confuse them).  i discovered that the american heritage college dictionary does not include brushes under the meanings and usage of 'bright', 'flat', 'filbert' and 'round'.   a quick google search gave me the answer.

No comments: