Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Cezanne Phase


It was '98 or '99 when Fred Kepler studied with me.  We both painted when he came for his lessons. My paintings were used as 'training' paintings that i used to demonstrate various techniques, color mixing, approaches to composition, etc. as the painting developed. The Cezanne phase painting above is the result of Fred's visits to the studio over an 8 week period.  

The still life above is 26x32" .  We  set the still life up in the center of the floor under studio lights which were staggered warm/cool/warm/cool in overhead tracts.  Cezanne was the compositional reference.  I did not use Cezanne color theory in my work; I needed to learn how to use black and white gray.   That was my lesson.  Fred's lesson was composition with warm/cool color theory and drawing thrown in.  

Today Fred visits the world's great paintings with his dear Lenore.  I have seen some terrific paintings that he has done of Lenore, of other people standing in front of the masterpieces.  He has learned to teach himself by copying the best paintings, while sharing his love of art with his wife and having a great time.  He has even come to know the joy of selling some of his work!  

So glad I did not throw this painting away.  I was tempted to over the years, but some of those creases are just too awesome to not be admired.  oh, the braided rug is one of the Willis family treasures.  I sure hope I didn't get too much paint on that beauty.

best and onward,
deb.

i'm getting over a nasty head cold with the double whammy of seasonal allergies.  i've taken care of business today, and looked at my garden.  i'll have more energy tomorrow.  then, back to the paint.

No comments: